Wednesday, February 11, 2009

rabbit stew



Shane and his bros took the boys on a rabbit safari. Of all the things they hunt why he made the decisions he did is beyond me. I think it's because he likes cottontails. If you're going to shoot them, we need to eat them. A lesson the boys need to learn. That's great but why do I have to suffer as well? They brought back 5 rabbits. I thought it was just for the photo op. nope. After they got home, the pose spent the next 45 minutes outside. I never really want to know what they are doing. Too many details and it just makes more work for me. Ridge kept coming in and asking for supplies. Bowl, water, knives, salt, the usual. I was hoping he was skinning with the intent of tossing, so I played along. Before long here come 5 dressed rabbits. Shane sent the boys in with the request, "mom, will you cook these for us?" Really? I've had to chop up a whole chicken, no problem. Cut up some beef. OK. Pork. fine. Venison. piece of cake. When I went to cut up these rabbits, I just about couldn't do it. I don't know what it was. I did work my way through it. They just looked like little people parts. Creepy. That, come to find out wasn't going to be the hardest part. My boys are some of the pickiest eaters in the world. I have had to become an amazing chef. Smell, site, taste, texture. It's like I'm on live TV in front of the worlds' biggest critics every single meal. They are harsh. But we eat like kings now. It's just a little trickier cooking for kings!

I had to present my little fellows a meal that they would love. I would hate for them to be sour on rabbits for the rest of their lives (I know, we had a bad fish experience once but, that's another story.) I called around to all the old timers we knew, then searched the Internet for the perfect recipe. I made a crock pot meal. It was really good. Everyone liked it, but it was so hard to eat. It tasted a lot like pork. I guess I wasn't hungry enough. I hope I never have to be hungry enough. We are so soft. I was telling this story to Grandma Dahl. She said they used to eat rabbits all the time. It was a big meat source at one time. If there is a time of food shortage you are all invited to my house for rabbit. Until then, let's eat red meat.

4 comments:

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

My old man loves rabbit too. He tries to convince us it tastes like chicken. I'm all about not knowing...tastes better that way ;)

Grandma 'D' said...

If you fillet it out, and bake it with pork shake n bake it isn't too bad. It tastes pretty good if you can get past the fact that is a BUNNY! I can't bring myself to eat little bunny foo foo either.

Melissa said...

I seriously cannot quit laughing... that sounds exactly like my dad!!! I don't much care to eat 'Easter Bunny',but if I have to, the shake n bake way is OK. Happy eating!!

Rachel said...

It does taste like chicken. Don't let my mom fool ya, I'm pretty sure she's eaten bunny (she's prepared it enough). And although I have no problem eating it, I do remember looking at their little skinned bodies once & thinking that they looked like little people. ;)